Saturday, February 13, 2016

I used to be love drunk but now I'm hungover

Love to me is a bunch of different feelings, states, and attitudes that ranges from pleasure (“I loved that burrito”) to interpersonal affection (“I love my hipster grandma”). It can refer to an emotion, strong attraction, or personal attachment. Love can be a virtue like kindness, compassion, and affection---“the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another”. Love may also describe affectionate and compassionate actions toward someone or one’s self.

Most of us understand what it means to love another person. The feelings of intense desire, admiration and emotional investment in another person are likely familiar. But loving yourself? That can feel like a foreign concept to many of us. Self-love is a combination of self-acceptance, self-possession (different than self-obsession), self-awareness, and kindness and respect for ourselves. So before you throw your heart at your crush this Valentine’s day, try to learn to love yourself first. So go buy yourself a dozen roses. Go open a notebook and write down stuff you love about yourself. Love yourself. I’m not saying to be Ms./Mr. Independent or to make it your goal to die alone, I’m just saying that before you try to love someone else learn to love yourself first. Accept and love yourself for who you are then go love and accept someone for who they are.  


Have a great Valentine’s Day. I love you.

4 comments:

  1. I love the whole love yourself first thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of that guy in New York or someplace dancing around half naked, "Accept yourself! Love yourself!" If you know what I'm talking about.
    Haha, but this was so good. So true. Everybody should read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "you should go and love yourself" -JB
    sorry i had too
    anyways i really really like this

    ReplyDelete